Blake

Blake

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

"Normal" Play

Well, it was a crazy busy weekend. We had two turkey dinners, one of which we celebrated some of Blake's birthday. He turns 3 on the 24th! Blake got some really cool toy trains and a wooden track. He's not too into the track. What he really wants to do is lay on the floor and push the trains back and forth in his line of vision. I am guessing this is a self soothing tactic for him. I am supposed to try and distract him from this behaviour but I have a hard time doing that. He likes to do this and if it's comforting for him then why stop it? Some kids like to carry around blankets or teddy bears for comfort, Blake likes to lay down and roll his trains along. I know I have to encourage "normal" play, but I also want him to be happy. He is also super obsessed with lines. Lines on the sidewalk, stop signs, the edge of a rug, fences... He likes to run by them try to look out the side of his eyes when passing. I think it's cute. Another thing I have noticed is the love he has for the credits that roll at the end of a show or movie. It has to do with sensory stimulation. Kind of like an itch you need to scratch. I haven't read up on autism too much on the internet. I don't want to overload my brain with tons of information. Also I really don't trust the interent where everybody and anybody can post whatever they want on there. I have been learning bits an pieces at a time. Plus, I just enjoy Blake for who is. I enjoy BOTH my kids. I have been thrilled at the way Blake and Garrett get along. They are starting to interact together and it is soooo cute. Blake will make faces and Garrett and he will start laughing or Blake will jump along side Garrett in his jolly jumper. This makes Garrett giggle and coo at Blake. If Garrett drops a toy, Blake will get it for him. I hope that they will be good friends one day if they aren't already.

1 comment: