Blake

Blake

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Different But Not Less

Different but not less. That is a quote my grandma taught me about autism and it is exactly right. They are different but by no means are the less of anything. In fact to me, they are so much more.
We finally got his official diagnosis of ASD (autism spectrum disorder) It has taken us 2 years to get this far. But worth it for the amazing funding Blake receives. The first thing I am going to enroll him in is therapeutic horse back riding. I have heard amazing things about horses and their connection to kids with disabilities. I know Blake will really love it and can't wait to see the joy in his eyes when he gets to see a horse up close. Most people assume that I would be sad hearing the psychologist confirm his ASD but I'm not. He's still the same Blake he has always been. Smart, funny, gentle, silly, happy, bright...
I haven't blogged in awhile. I plan to keep up with it more in 2011. And I have decided not to just write about Blake but all of our adventures as a family this year. Kind of like a journal I guess. I also want to comment on our incredible experience at the CDC in Nanaimo. They were amazing for Blake's assessment on January 5th which consisted of a 30 min observation with Blake and a 2 hour interview with just my husband and I. Followed by a meeting with everyone involved in diagnosing Blake. Which consisted of 7 people! They made our time there comfortable and warm. What a great place! It runs mostly off donations. Our government needs to fund more things like this. They are important for our community.
Anyway going to take the kids for a walk before we get more snow. I will blog again soon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment